Bridge Ratings has completed it's twice-yearly study on music consumers now clearly categorized into five cohorts based on attitude, awareness and consumption of music.
1. Aggressive discoverers (8.5% of total) are the heaviest consumers of music and spend over six hours per week listening to music. Streaming affinity: 9. Download affinity: 7. Affinity to purchase songs or concert tickets: 8. Music discovery: 9
2. Active Aficionados (18%) spend the second-most amount of weekly time (6+ hours) listening to music. Streaming affinity: 8. Download affinity: 6. Purchase affinity: 6. Music discovery: 8.
3. Early Mass Listeners (38%) are the largest group in this study and listen to at least four hours of music a week in a variety of ways. This group, in general, is aware of their favorite artist's new music and concert tours and are likely candidates for purchasing concert tickets more than downloading music files. Streaming affinity: 7. Download affinity: 4. Purchase affinity: 7. Music discovery: 6.
4. Average Music Consumers (28%) spend at least three hours actively listening to music through streaming, downloaded files or from their own libraries but are somewhat likely to purchase concert tickets. Streaming affinity: 5. Download affinity: 4. Purchase affinity: 5. Music discovery: 4.
5. Drive-by Consumers (8%) activity listen to music at least two hours total per week but get their music 'fix' primarily through broadcast radio. They are aware of streaming and do so primarily at their work location, rarely download or purchase music. Streaming affinity: 3. Download affinity: 2. Purchase affinity: 4. Music discovery: 2.
On-demand Streaming and Radio
Questions broadcast radio programmers should be asking:
Bridge Ratings has been analyzing streaming data to better understand radio listener music streaming consumption.
In today’s world of on-demand music consumption, media professionals finally have help in determining how music streaming data can reengage their listeners for more occasions of listening and higher time-spent-listening.
What's So Special About Music Streaming Data?
We are discovering an increasing amount of evidence that suggests that the relationship between on-demand on-line music streaming is closely related to broadcast radio airplay metrics and if properly implemented, music streaming behavior research can improve listener expectations and use.
It’s all part of the equation of understanding music consumption today.
On-demand = immediate consumption.
Immediate consumption information = fresher playlists.
Some broadcast stations that have begun to implement a coordinated airplay, digital song sales and streaming consumption recipe have seen the number of listening occasions increase as well as time-spent-listening and listener engagement.
Keeping It Fresh
Rather than music research conducted once or twice yearly, fresh music streaming information daily or weekly has given some programmers an effective tool in freshening playlists.
Technology has enlightened and empowered music consumers. Their ability to enjoy a huge variety of music titles and styles has been greatly enhanced which has led to their controlling what they hear. Waiting three to six months to freshen playlists once an audience music test has been fielded has yielded stale listening experiences and deterioration of time spent with a radio station.
Weekly freshening based in on-demand streaming experience boosts the listener experience which includes using their favorite radio station as an aid to determine which songs to stream, download or purchase.
This new relationship between digital music consumer and their favorite broadcast radio station heralds another step forward in improving the listener experience.
And as the consumption of music continues to accelerate, broadcast radio can only benefit by paying closer attention to the music that interests their listeners on demand.
For more information contact Dave Van Dyke at Bridge Ratings. 323.696.0967 or at email@example.com.
Additional insight into on-demand music streaming can be found here: http://goo.gl/vjkln5